You can claim GST credits for most business purchases. However, there are some things that are GST-free or that you can’t claim for various reasons.
- If your suppliers aren’t registered for GST, you can’t claim GST credits. That applies even if they give you a tax invoice with an ABN and GST amount on it.
- Use the ABN Lookup online tool to check if your suppliers are registered for GST. It’s also available in the ATO app.
- Things such basic foods, some medical goods or services and other items are GST-free.
- Check your tax invoices and only claim the amount of GST shown.
- If you use an item for both personal and business use, you can only claim the business portion.
- There is no GST on wages you pay to staff.
- There are also some property transactions where you can’t claim GST credits. For example, you can’t claim GST credits when buying a property using the margin scheme or build-to-rent developments.
As part of your record keeping, remember to keep your tax invoices.
Registered tax agents and BAS agents can help you with your tax.